Hint: it’s not as easy as you think — while running.
We’ve all had that moment when, whilst trying to sip something out of a cup and walk forwards at the same time, one ends up with an unwanted liquid facial.
If you dial up the speed, it would be even more challenging.
We’re using cups at two water stations at the Virgin Sport Oxford Half in an effort to cut down on plastic use, at stations 4 and 6 will be water cups — that’s roughly mile 7 and 10!
Did you know that it takes 500 years for plastic to decompose and 275,000 tonnes of plastic are used each year in the UK? That’s about 15 million bottles per day!
Here’s the quick low down on how best to efficiently drink water out of a paper cup while running a half marathon.
- Pick a volunteer and spot a cup to aim for! Bonus points — make eye contact and smile.
- Grab the cup and squeeze the top into a spout.
- Don’t gulp it all down at once — take your time.
- When done, throw your cup to the side of the road
- Don’t forget to practice during your training!
Here’s a visual demo from our team:
Entries are open until 25th September for the Virgin Sport Oxford Half — get your ticket before it’s too late!